The Joy Discipline
A. FROM TIME TO TIME, ALL NEED DISCIPLINE.
1. "To train to obedience or subjection. a. To drill or educacte. 3. To punish."
2. There is a purpose (Heb. -11b), and a desired outcome (vs. 11a).
C. WHAT DO THE SCRIPTURES TEACH ON CORRECTIVE DISCIPLINE?
A. 2 Thes. 3:6. THE DISORDERLY. “like soldiers not keeping rank.”
B. 2 Thes. 3:14. THE DISOBEDIENT.
C. Rom. 16:17-18. THOSE WHO TEACH ERROR.
D. Titus 3:10-11. THE FACTIOUS.
A. INVOLVES OFFICIAL ACTION OF CHURCH( 1 Cor. 5:4; Matt. ).
B. 2 Thes. 3:6. "WITHDRAW YOURSELVES."
C. ANY UNGODLINESS IN ANY BROTHER MUST BE WARNED AGAINST
( Gal. 6:1; 1 Thes. ).
D. BUT THE ACTION WAS ALWAYS COMMANDED WHEN THE SIN WAS
ENTERED INTO IN SPITE OF INSTRUCTION( 1 Cor. 5:6-8 ).
E. WHAT IS THE INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY WHEN ACTION IS TAKEN?
1. Rom. . "Mark than man," "Avoid."
2. 1 Cor. 5. Seven expressions.
3. 2 Thes. 3:6. "Withdraw yourselves." "Have no company with him."
F. OUR ATTITUDE IS IMPORTANT.
1. Gird yourselves with humility (Matt. 7:1-5; 1 Pet. 5:5; 2 Tim. -26).
2. Urgency! (Gal. 6:1).
A. IT IS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE SINNER.
1. It makes him aware of his sin and of our concern for him.
2. It motivates him to repent( 1 Cor. 5:5 ).
4. Though not taken to humiliate, the result is always shame ( 2 Thes. ).
5. If it is successful, the sinner will feel sorrow( 2 Cor. 2:5-7; ).
B. IT IS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE CHURCH.
1. It should end the sinner's influence( 1 Cor. 5:6-8 ).
2. It should cause fear of God in the church( Acts ; 1 Tim. )
C. THOSE ON THE OUTSIDE KNOW WE'RE SERIOUS.
A. IF DISCIPLINE IS SUCCESSFUL, THE SINNER WILL FEEL SORROW AND
REPENT (2 Cor. ).
B. AND IF THEY REPENT?( 2 Cor. 2:5-11 ).
A. WHAT WAS THE PRODIGAL’S FATHER DOING? (Luke 15:20).
B. WHAT MUST WE DO?