A. SIN APART FROM THE LAW.
B. NOT IMPUTED WHERE THERE IS NO LAW( 1 Cor. 15:56 ).
C. SIN IS A TRANSGRESSION OF LAW( 1 John 3:4 ).
A. LAW FOR THE PATRIARCHS( Rom. 2:12-16 ).
1. Purpose of the Law( vs. 13 ), to do.
2. Morality demanded before a written code( vs. 14-15 ).
a. Gentiles acknowledged right, i.e. Abe, Job, Noah.
b. Acknowledgment places same demand as a law or code.
c. Conscience, heart, their judge. Why?
- no code.
- ignorant of the code.
d. True of Gentiles of the Mosaic period.
3. vs. 16. The standard for all.
B. WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS "LAW?"
1. Heb. 1:1-2. Then divers manners. Now through His Son.
2. Eph. 2:13-18. Middle wall broken down. Now Jew & Gentile are one. All in the same boat.
3. Acts 17:30.
a. God once overlooked ignorance in whom?
b. What relation did they have to the OT law?
c. What does He now demand of all men, Jew & Greek?
d. What relation do all have to the rule of Jesus( Phil. 2:9-11 ).
A. JESUS IS KING OF KINGS( 1 Tim. 6:14-16 ).
B. Acts 2:36.
C. ALL POWER( Mat. 28:18 ). ANY OTHER? IF PATRIARCHAL, YES!
D. Eph. 1:20-23. WHEN HE RAISED HIM...
1. at his right hand.
2. far above - preeminence - his firstborn.
3. all rule, authority, power, dominion, every other name, in this world and that which is to come.
4. Special relation to the church...But not just the church.
ALL Rule, etc.
5. John 14:6. Embodiment of God's will - Sole source( 14:6-10 )
A. Mat. 25:31f. WHO JUDGES? SEPARATES? JUSTIFIES? CONDEMNS? WHO IS JUDGED HERE? ALL THE NATIONS.
B. Acts 17:30-31. JUDGE THE WORLD - BY THE MAN. WHO HERE IS SPOKEN TO? GENTILES!
C. Rom. 2:1-16. SPOKEN AS IF IN THE PRESENT.
1. vs. 2. God's judgment in a Jew/Gentile context.
2. vs. 9-10. Both Jew & Greek.
3. vs. 11. No respect of persons.
4. vs. 16. Judged by what? Who?
D. Rom. 14:10-12. EVERY KNEE, TONGUE.
E. 2 Cor. 5:10.
F. 1 Pet. 4:17-18. IMPLIES THE SAME STANDARD.
G. John 12:48. WHO IS JUDGED?
1. Those who reject him & receive not his sayings. In the church only?
2. Whose word judges?
3. Where found?( Luke 10:16; 1 Cor. 2:10-16; Mat. 10:28; John 16:12-15 ).
4. Who is subject to it? Who can it condemn?
ANYONE WHO REJECTS!
CAN THE ALIEN SINNER REJECT?
A. THE JEW WAS SUBJECT TO ROMAN LAW, BUT RECEIVED ONLY THE OBLIGATIONS AND NONE OF THE BLESSINGS.
B. THE ALIEN IS SUBJECT TO THE LAW. THERE IS NOTHING THAT IS NOT UNDER HIS FEET( 1 Cor. 15:27-28 ). BUT HE RECEIVES NONE OF THE BENEFITS UNTIL HE BECOMES A CITIZEN.
C. Hebrews 13:4.
D. HOW DOES ONE BECOME A CITIZEN?
A. THE WRITINGS OF THE APOSTLES( Luke 10:16 ).
1. The process of inspiration( 1 Cor. 2:10-13, 16b ).
2. The desired result( Eph. 3:3-5; 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
B. WHAT ABOUT THE TEACHINGS OF JESUS DURING HIS PERSONAL MINISTRY?
1. Context determines.
2. Address the OT law( Mat. 15:4-6 ).
3. The "gospel of the kingdom"( Mat. 4:23 ).
a. Teaching them to observe all what things?( Mat. 28:19-20 ).
b. The mission of the Spirit( John 14:26; 16:13 ).
4. The contrast of Moses & Jesus:
a. Sermon on the Mount( Mat. 5:17-18; 21, 27, 31, 33 ).
b. Does this address us?( 5:44; 6:19-21; 7:1, 21 ).
c. Mat. 19:7-9. Moses vs. Jesus.
5. Mat. 18:15-17. The "church."
6. Mat. 26:26-29. Instructions for the kingdom( Acts 2:42; John 3:3-5 ).