The Prayer of Faith
A. PRAYER IS WHERE WE TALK TO GOD (Matt. 6:9).
B. IT IS A POWERFUL TOOL FOR OUR SPIRIT (James ).
C. WE NEED TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IT.
A. THE COMMAND TO PRAY WITHOUT CEASING (1 Thess ; Col. 4:2)
B. IN EVERY PLACE (1 Tim. 2:8).
A. ASK ! (Matt. 7:7-8). GOD IS OUR FATHER.
B. WHEN THERE SEEMS NO OTHER PLACE TO GO (Phil 4:4-6).
C. WHEN WE ARE IN NEED.
1. Of Wisdom (James 1:5).
2. Of healing (James 5:14-15; Phil. 2:25-27).
3. Of strength (Eph. -20)
4. Of forgiveness (James ; Acts ).
D. GODíS PROMISE TO HEAR (1 John -15; 1 Pet. ).
E. BUT WE MUST ASK IN FAITH (James 1:5-8).
A. GOD HEARS, BUT SOMETIMES DOESNíT SEEM TO ANSWER (Luke 18:1).
B. SOMETIMES THE OPPOSITE FROM WHAT WE PRAY HAPPENS.
C. James 1:6. WHAT IF THE ONE WE PRAY FOR GETS WORSE OR DIES?
1. We must realize it is not Godís will for man to live in this world forever.
a. If our prayer for the mortally ill was always answered yes, no one would die.
b. Through Jesus, death is no longer the victorious enemy (Heb. -15).
c. Deathís defeat is in the resurrection (1 Cor. -57).
d. Because of Jesus death is not the worse thing for the Christian, but in one sense,
the best (2 Cor. 5:8; Phil. -23).
2. We must have absolute confidence in the goodness of God and His greater wisdom.
a. After all, He has invested much in our welfare (Rom. -32).
b. He is so far ahead of us in wisdom (Isa. 55:8-9).
c. Prov. 3:5. If my ďtrust in the LordĒ is limited to those times when Godís wisdom
matches mine, am I not leaning on my own understanding? (Job ).
d. It is right to pray for the sick and dying (3 John 2; Heb. ; Phil. ).
e. It is not right to think that Godís answer will always be health and life, as the
example of Paul and Jesus illustrate (2 Cor. 12:7-10; Matt. 26:39; 27:50).
A. I WILL HAVE GREATER CONFIDENCE IN PRAYER.
1. I will understand that God answers, even if sometimes He says no (Matt.7:7-11).
2. When we walk by faith Ė trust in God for what is best (Matt. 6:8) Ė faith grows!
B. PRAYER FOR THE SICK WILL FOCUS ON SEEKING GODíS MERCY AND HIS
WILL RATHER THAN MY SELFISH INTEREST.
1. The sick often asked Jesus for mercy rather than healing (Matt. ; ).
2. For us, there is often more mercy in death than life (Rev. 14:13; 2 Cor. 5:8).
3. God alone knows what is merciful.
C. I WILL LEARN THE IMPORTANCE OF SUBMISSION.
1. What did Jesus pray? (Matt. 26:39).
2. What did Jesus teach us to pray? (Matt. 6:10).
3. We often donít know what that will is? (2 Sam. 12:22).
a. We know what God want us to do (2 Tim. -17).
b. We often donít know what God is going to do with us.
4. The foundation principle of our behavior (James -17).
A. IT IS RIGHT FOR US TO ASK FOR PROSPERITY, HEALTH, MERCY AND
B. GOD HEARS OUR PRAYER!
C. GODíS BLESSING IS IN OUR TRUST IN HIS WISDOM AND SUBMISSION TO HIS