The Prophets in Acts
A. MUCH SPECULATION AS TO THE MEANING OF OT PROPHECY.
1. 1 Peter 1:10-12. Among the prophets themselves.
B. THE KEY TO INTERPRETING IS FOUND IN THE BOOK OF ACTS.
A. A QUESTION OF WHO TO BELIEVE, THE APOSTLES OR PREMILLENIALISTS.
B. OTHER EXAMPLES:
1. Isa. 2:2-4 - Luke 24.
2. Psa. 2 - Acts 4:22-28; 13:33.
3. 2 Sam 7:12-16 - Acts 2:29-31.
4. Isa. 11:1-10 - Rom. 15:12.
A. PETER USES THE MIRACLE...OCCASION FOR THE SPEECH( vs. 11-17 ).
B. HIS USE OF THE PROPHETS.
1. "All the prophets, he thus fulfilled( vs. 18 ).
2. "Seasons of refreshing"( vs. 19-21 ).
a. Involved coming of Christ and complete restoration.
b. All that had to be done? Their repentance( vs. 19 ).
c. All else had been done( Matt. 17:9-13 ).
d. Subject of the prophets( vs. 21 ).
3. Jesus of Nazareth prefigured by Moses( vs. 22-23 ).
4. "Told of these days"( vs. 24 ). What days?
a. The last days( Joel 2:28; Isa. 2:2, etc. ).
b. Acts 2:16; Heb. 1:1-2; 1 Pet. 1:20.
5. God's promise to Abraham and the prophets( vs.25; Gen.12 ).
a. These people the sons of the prophets.
b. Therefore heirs of the promise( vs. 26 ).
C. PETER'S AFFIRMATION OF FIRST CENTURY FULFILLMENT.
A. PREMILLENIAL EXPECTATIONS...CONVERSION AND RESTORATION.
B. WHY WAS PAUL IN THIS CHAIN? WHAT DID HE PREACH?
1. Acts 26:6-8. Hope of the promise? ( vs. 8 ).
2. 26:22-23. "Nothing but what the prophets and Moses did sayshould come.
a. The suffering of Jesus.
b. The proclamation of light by the resurrection.
c. Nothing about physical restoration of Israel.
d. Did Paul preach competition to Caesar?( vs. 30-32 ).
3. Acts 24:14-15.The hope of Israel wasn't what Israel hoped for.