The Reason For Our Hope
By David Baker
TEXT: 1 Pet. 3:15
A. WE MUST BE READY ALWAYS TO DEFEND OUR FAITH.
1. The focal point of the Christianís hope is the resurrection from the dead.
2. This hope springs from the resurrection of Jesus from the dead( 1:3 ).
3. If Jesus was not raised from the dead bodily, then we have no hope of a resurrection from the dead for ourselves at the end of time( 1 Cor. 15:19 ).
B. IN THIS LESSON WE WANT TO CONSIDER PETER'S TESTIMONY CONCERNING THE RESURRECTION( Acts 2:22-36 ).
A. JESUS WAS APPROVED OF GOD BY THINGS HE DID IN JESUS( vs. 22 ).
1. Nicodemus' statement( John 3:1-2 ).
2. The blind man( John 9:30-33 ).
3. The raising of Lazarus( John 11:39-44 ).
4. John 20:30-31.
B. THE CRUCIFIXION WAS A PART OF GOD'S PLAN( vs. 23 ).
1. Known from before the world( 1 Pet. 1:18-20 ).
2. His eternal purpose, all things summed up in this( Eph. 7-10, 3:11 ).
3. His death was according to the prophets ( Luke 18:31-34; Isa. 53 ).
C. BUT GOD RAISED HIM UP( vs. 24 ).
1. The implications( vs. 33-36 ).
2. In the resurrection lay the Hope of Israel( Acts 24:15; 26:6-8, 22-23; 24:28 ).
3. The rest of Peter's remarks are his testimony.
II.PETER APPEALS TO THE PROPHETS( vs. 25-31 ).
A. THE PROPHETS APPEALED TO( Psa. 16:8-11; 2 Sam. 7:12-13 ).
B. THE JEWS BELIEVED THE PROPHETS & SEARCHED THEM( John 5:39 ).
C. PAUL APPEALED TO THE PROPHETS( Acts 17:2; 26:27 ).
D. REACTION OF THE JEWS( John 5:39-40, 45-47 ), AGRIPPA( Acts 26:28 ).
II.THE EVIDENCE OF THE EMPTY TOMB( vs. 29 ).
A. "THE DISCIPLES STOLE THE BODY."( 2 Corinthians 4:7-10 ).
B. "THE JEWS OR ROMANS MOVED THE BODY."( Acts 4:13-18 ).
C. "THE MOURNERS WENT TO THE WRONG TOMB."
D. "THE SWOON THEORY." 18th CENTURY.
1. Both friends and enemies certain He was dead. THE SPEAR!
2. Conditions in the tomb would have killed a man in his supposed condition.
E. THE ONLY POSSIBLE EXPLANATION FOR THE EMPTY TOMB IS THAT JESUS REALLY WAS RAISED FROM THE DEAD.
III.THE EYEWITNESSES( vs. 32 ).
A. THEY WERE EITHER LYING( 2 Cor. 4:7-14 ).
1. These appearances took place over a period of 40 days with a great deal of variety as to time and place. 10 distinct appearances.
2. Appeared to both groups and individuals. 500 at one time.
3. They were convinced - they gave their lives( 1 Cor. 15:5-8 ).
C. SUFFERED FROM HALLUCINATIONS.
1. The disciples were skeptical, persuaded against their wills that Jesus arose. Mary went to anoint a dead body. She thought that Jesus was a gardener.
2. The others refused to believe her story ( Luke 24:10-11; Mark 16:9-14 ).
3. The disciples thought Jesus was a ghost at first(Luke24:36-43).
4. Thomas was an honest unbeliever, he had to see to believe( John 20:24-29 ).
D. THEY WERE TELLING THE TRUTH( 1 John 1:1-4; 2 Pet. 1:16 ).
IV. "THIS, WHICH YE SEE AND HEAR"( vs. 33 ).
A. WHAT WAS POURED FORTH WAS EVIDENCE THAT JESUS HAD RECEIVED SOMETHING ELSE - THE PROMISE MADE TO HIM.
1. His exhaltation( Psa. 110:1 ).
2. The resurrection - Promised by David and other prophets( vs. 25-31 ).
B. WHAT WAS POURED FORTH( Acts 2:1-4 ). What they saw and heard.
CONCLUSION: THE REASON FOR OUR HOPE IS THE UNDENIABLE EVIDENCE OF THE RESURRECTION.