A. The Sabbath was part of Mosaic law.
1. The Seventh day.
2. shabbath (shab-bawth'); intermission, to cease.
Accepted meaning in context - rest( Heb. 4:9 ).
B. Is this practice binding today?
A. Sanctified after the "resting"( Gen. 2: 3 ).
B. When was it set aside as day of rest?
1. No command or example until after deliverance from Egypt.
2. To commemorate deliverance( Deut. 5:13-15 ).
3. Made known at Sinai( Neh. 9:13-14 ).
4. God chose the same day on which he had rested( Gen. 2:3; Ex. 20:11 ).
a. The reason for the memorial was the deliverance.
b. The reason for choosing the particular day was that God rested on it.
A. Ex. 31:12-18.A SIGN AND A COVENANT BETWEEN GOD AND ISRAEL.
1. Patriarchy: No command, example, penalty.
2. Judaism: Command, example, penalty.
A. Can a perpetual Sabbath end?
1. Perpetual incense ended( Ex. 30: 8 ).
2. Circumcision ended( Gen. 17:13; Gal. 5:6 ).
3. All of time to which applied or intended ( Jonah 2:6 ).
4. "Throughout your generations" - as long as Israel was God's chosen.
( Lev. 16:34; 24:46; 25:13; Deut. 15:16-17 )
B. PROPHECY FULFILLED.
1. Amos 8:1-10; Cf. Matt. 27: 45.
2. Hos. 2:11-13; Cf. .
A. Ten commandments were the covenant.
( 1 Kgs. 8:9, 21 Cf. Jer. 31:31; Heb. 8:6-9 ).
B. THE LAW WHICH COMMANDED THE SABBATH NAILED TO THE CROSS ( Col. 2:13-17 )