The Things Written Aforetime
A. (vs. 4) AN IMPORTANT AND POPULAR VERSE.
B. OFT QUOTED WITH REFERENCE TO STUDYING THE OLD TESTAMENT.
1. The Old Testament is preserved for us to read and learn from.
2. Our learning is not for learning’s sake. There is some real use in O.T. studies.
C. LET’S LOOK AT THE PASSAGE AND SEE THE IMPORTANCE OF O.T. STUDY.
A. CONTEXT INDICATES O.T. IN ITS ENTIRETY.
1. Quotes from O.T. in the context (vs. 3 – Psa. 69:9; vs. 9-12).
2. O.T. quoted extensively throughout (1:17; 3:4, 9-18; 4:3, 7; ch. 9-11).
B. MUCH REASONING FROM O.T. EXAMPLES.
1. Abraham (ch. 4)
2. Adam (ch. 5).
C. MUCH OF PAUL’S REASONING BASED ON FAMILIARITY WITH THE O.T. (7:1).
1. Process of Justification in our obedience (2:1-16).
2. The righteousness of God (3:21-26).
3. Relation to the O.T. law (7:1-7)
A. NOT JUST BUSY WORK, FOR LEARNING’S SAKE – SOME PRACTICAL USE.
1. It reveals man’s origin – who we are and where we come from (Gen. 1:26; 2:8)..
2. It reveals something of man’s nature – We Haven’t Changed. i.e. David and Saul.
3. It shows the unfolding God’s plan as something historical – eternal and profound
(Gen. 3:15; 12:1-3; Isa. 53; Gal. 3:23-25).
4. It is evidence to the truth of all of God’s dealing with man.
a. In its unity and accuracy as manifest in the basic theme and typology.
b. In its miraculous content – prophecy and foreknowledge.
5. It tells about God:
a. His character and nature (Psa. 90:1-2; 19:9; Deut. 32:4)
b. How he deals with us – what to expect (Isa. 40:28; Gen. 18:25; Psa. 98:9).
c. His sovereignty – It all belongs to him (Psa. 95:4-5; 33:6-9; 50:10-12).
6. It relates principles of right and wrong that are eternal, and God’s wisdom.
B. THERE IS AN OBJECT TO WHAT PAUL IS TELLING US HERE (Rom. 15:4).
1. Our hope is in deliverance through the resurrection (Acts 24:15).
2. The resurrection is a source of comfort (2 Cor. 4:13-14; 1 Thess. 4:13-14, 18).
3. How important is this hope? (Heb. 6:19).
4. Where does this hope come from?
a. The resurrection of Jesus (1 Pet. 1:3).
b. The promise of God (Acts 26:6-7).
C. HOW CAN WE TRUST SUCH FANTASTIC PROMISES?
1. The apostle is urging us to study the O.T. and see (Rom. 15:4).
2. Many examples of the faithfulness of God to His word.
a. Noah (Gen. 6-9), Abraham and Isaac (Gen. 12-22),
Blessing and curse of Israel (Deut. 28).
b. The attack of Rezin (Syria) and Pekah (Israel) (Isa. 7-8).
i. Ahaz told to do nothing – God will handle this (7:3-4, 7).
ii. Ahaz given two signs (7:14-16; 8:1-4). DONE!
c. The Assyrian siege (Isa. 36-37).
1) Assyrian threat (36:14-20).
2) Assyrian might (36:19-20; 37:11-13).
3) God’s assurance (37:33-37).
d. Babylonian captivity.
1) Jeremiah’s promise (Jer. 25:11-12).
2) Isaiah – 200 years beforehand gets specific (Isa. 44:24-28).
- Naming Cyrus (vs. 28; 45:4; 13:17).
- Describing how (vs. 27). Wonderful results.
3) For whose benefit was this propehecy spoken? What did it mean to the
people of Isaiah’s day? What does it mean to us? (1 Pet. 1:12).
D. NO WONDER DAVID HAD SUCH REGARD FOR SCRIPTURE!
BUT WHAT SCRIPTURE?
(Psa. 19:7-10; 1:2; 119:97).
E. HOW WAS PAUL PERSUADED? (2 Tim. 1:12).
F. 2 Tim. 2:11-13. HOW DO WE KNOW THE SAYING IS FAITHFUL? (Josh. 21:45).
G. GOD IS FAITHFUL, WE MUST BE STEDFAST! (Rom. 15:4; Heb. 10:23).
A. ROMANS WRITTEN TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF JUDAISM IN THE CHURCH.
1. The word “Jew” used to describe God’s people (2:28-29).
2. Fleshly distinctions are not recognized by God (1:16; 2:6-11).
B. JEWS ARE THUS REMINDED THAT GENTILES AREN’T UNDER MOSES’ LAW.
C. THE GENTILE IS TOLD THE IMPORTANT ROLE OF THE JEW IN SALVATION.
D. BOTH ARE TOLD TO BE CAREFUL FOR THE OTHER’S SALVATION (14 – 15:1-2).
E. BOTH JEW AND GENTILE ARE TO BE ONE (vs. 5-6)
1. They are to be of the same mind.
2. With one mouth they are to glorify God.
F. WE ARE TO RECEIVE ONE ANOTHER AS CHRIST HAS RECEIVED US (vs. 7).
1. vs. 8. A minister to the circumcision – a fulfillment of the promise.
2. vs. 9a. That the Gentiles might glorify God as recipients of his mercy!
3. vs. 9b. As it is written … when and were (vs. 4). What does he quote? (vs. 9-12).
A. TO MANY, STUDYING THE O.T. IS BURDENSOME (Isa.28:9-10).
B. BUT FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIS WORD AND RECEIVE HIS MESSAGE …