The Traditions of Men
A. "TRADITION" USED IN THE KJV 12 TIMES, 13 IN ASV.
B. paradosis, "HANDING DOWN OR ON ... DENOTES TRADITION."
C. INFREQUENT USAGE IS DECIEVING, IMPORTANT SUBJECT.
A. FROM MEN( Col. 2:8 ).
1. Includes that which originates in the mind of man.
2. Includes application of God's word in an improper context, for example, the Old
Testament traditions are from God, but Paul looses them in this passage.
B. FROM GOD( 1 Cor. 11:2; 2 Thess. 2:14-15 ).
1. Equated with the gospel through which we are called.
2. Carries the weight of God's word( Luke 10:16 ).
3. The Apostles were Ambassadors( 2 Cor. 5:18-20 ).
4. "Whether by word or epistle of ours."
5. Given the status of LAW( 2 Thess. 3:6, 14 ).
A. Matt. 15:1-6.
1. The superiority and priority given to God's law.
2. Where it violates God's law, tradition is wrong.
3. Where it doesn't violate, it is regulated( 1 Cor. 6:12; 10:23 ).
B. Gal. 1:13-14.
1. Tradition often seems the naturally right thing to do.
2. Zeal for tradition( vs. 13; Phil. 3:6 ).
C. Col. 2:8.
1. Man't tradition leads away from Christ.
2. Choose man's tradition and be made spoil of.
a. Devotion to empty hypocritical form, or silly emotion( Matt. 15:6-9 ).
b. It is the pathway to Hell( Gal. 1:6-9; 2 John 9 ).
D. HUMAN TRADITION IS NATURALLY DIVISIVE( 1 Cor. 4:6-7; 11:19 ).
E. HUMAN TRADITION IS DAMNING( Matt. 15:13-14 ).
A. INFANT BAPTISM, ORIGINAL SIN, CAN'T FALL FROM GRACE.
B. INSTRUMENT, PASTOR SYSTEM, FAITH ONLY, MONDAY COMMUNION.
C. CONVERSION BY MEANS OTHER THAN THE GOSPEL.
1. Food( Social services ).
2. Social activities.]
3. Coercion, regimentation, intimidation.
D. INSTITUTIONALISM, DIVORCE AND REMARRIAGE, WORLDLINESS.
E. DISHONESTY IN CONDUCTING THE BUSINESS OF THE CHURCH.
A. WE NEED TO ASK OURSELVES THE ALL IMPORTANT QUESTION
BEFORE WE GET INVOLVED - FROM HEAVEN OR MEN?
B. WHAT YOU DID TO BE SAVED ... FROM HEAVEN OR MEN?