The Traditions of Men, Christmas
A. THE POWER OF TRADITION IN OUR LIVES.
1. Influence, coupled with tradition.
2. Holidays, jobs, religious practices.
3. Peer and societal pressures.
B. SOME TRADITIONS ARE NOT GOOD( Matt. 15:3 ). HOW CAN YOU TELL?
A. Matt. 15:1-6. TEACHES TWO LESSONS.
1. Priority is to be given to God's law.
2. Where tradition violates God's law it is wrong.
B. Gal. 1:12-14. TRADITION OFTEN SEEMS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
1. Paul's persecution consistent with traditions of the Fathers.
2. Paul thought he was doing the right thing.
3. But ... ( 1 Tim. 1:12-15 ).
C. Col. 2:8.
1. There is tradition from Christ and there is man's tradition.
2. If we follow man's tradition in spite of Christ's law, then we will be made spoil
of( 2 John 9; Gal. 1:6-9; Rev. 22:18-19 ).
D. 2 Thess. 2:13-15; 3:6.
1. The traditions handed down by the apostles will save us.
2. To fail to follow this tradition will necessitate discipline.
A. IS CHRISTMAS FROM MAN OR GOD?
1. Not mentioned in the Bible.
2. What is the origin? ( see Brumback, pg. 51 ).
3. Christmas is the imposition of men.
B. DOES THE OBSERVANCE OF CHRISTMAS VIOLATE GOD'S LAW?
1. Gal. 4:8-11; 2 John 9.
2. To celebrate Christmas detracts from the only day that we are commanded to
observe in the New Testament( Acts 20:7; Rev. 1:10 ).
C. WE CAN ONLY CONCLUDE THAT THE OBSERVANCE OF CHRISTMAS
AS A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY IS WRONG.
A. 1 Thess. 5:22.
B. Titus 2:7-8. WE MUST DO NOTHING THAT CAUSES US TO APPEAR AS
THOUGH WE WERE DOING EVIL.
C. Matt. 18:5-10. WE MUST NOT EMBOLDEN THE WEAK TO RELIGIOUS
OBSERVANCE( 1 Cor. 8:7-13 ).
D. CAN WE SEPARATE THE RELIGIOUS SIGNIFICANCE FROM RELIGIOUS
SYMBOLS WHEN OTHERS DO NOT?
A. OBSERVANCE OF CHRISTMAS RELIGIOUSLY IS NOT RIGHT.
B. WE NEED TO THINK SERIOUSLY OF THE OTHER PART OF CHRISTMAS.
C. TO DO THAT WHICH THE WORLD DOES, AND THEN CLAIM YOU DO SO
FOR A DIFFERENT REASON IS DANGEROUS.