The Two Sons
A. THE 21rst CHAPTER OF MATT IS FULL OF ACTION( List stories.).
B. CHAPTER ENDS WITH A DISCUSSION BETWEEN JESUS & THE JEWS.
1. The Jews provoked the discussion by askingt him about His authority.
2. Jesus uses this opportunity to teach them some lessons about themselves.
C. IN THIS SETTING THAT WE HAVE THE PARABLE OF THE TWO SONS.
A. "GO" - THE FIRST WORD IN THE GOSPEL.
1. Growth of the church depends on our going( Rom. 10:13-15 ).
2. NT examples( Acts 5:42; 8:1, 4, 40; 11:19-21; Col. 1:6 ).
3. ( Matt. 28:19-20 ). The Great Commission is to us, too( 2 Tim. 2:2 ).
B. "WORK" - GOD DOESN'T WANT US TO BE LAZY ABOUT HIS BUSINESS.
1. The attitude God desires( Titus 2:14; 3:1, 8 ).
2. Hebrews 6:11-12.
3. Parable of the talents( Matt. 25:26, 30 ).
C. "TODAY" - WORK MUST BE DONE WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY IS HERE.
1. The night comes swiftly( John 9:4 ).
2. We don't know what shall be( James 4:13-17 ).
3. Don't put it off( 2 Cor. 6:2 ).
D. "IN MY VINEYARD" - WE MUST WORK FOR THE RIGHT BOSS.
1. What the work is is important( Phil. 4:9 ).
a. God will not accept work just because we do it( Matt. 7:21-23 ).
b. Or anything other than what he has commanded( Matt. 15:9 ).
c. All must be authorized( Col. 3:17 ).
2. Who the work is for is important( Mat. 6:24; Gal. 1:10; Phil 1:15-17 ).
A. IT SAYS HE REPENTED HIMSELF AND WENT. REPENTANCE IS NOT
THE ACTION HERE. IT IS A CHANGE OF THE MIND.
1. A man must change his feeling toward sin( Rom.12:9 ) and himself( Jas.4:9 ).
2. He must change his will toward sin( Rom. 6:12-13 ).
3. Such a change of heart results in a change of action( Luke 6:43-45 ).
B. THIS MAN CHANGED HIS MIND, AND DID WHAT HE WAS TOLD.
A. TWO CLASSES OF SINNERS ARE REPRESENTED HERE.
1. Publicans and harlots, the scum of the earth.
2. The outwardly pious and religious, the scribes and the pharisees.
B. WHICH ONE DID THE WILL OF THE FATHER?
1. Some who God saved"
a. Rahab, the harlot( James. 2:25 ).
b. The Samaritan woman at the well( John 4 ).
c. Saul of Tarsus.
2. The elite, however, were accused of hypocrisy( Matt. 23:25-28; 15:7-9 ).
C. JESUS INVITES ALL TO COME( Matt. 11:28-30; Matt. 28:19-20 ).
A. ARE WE READY TO WORK?
B. DO WE NEED TO REPENT?