The Unjust Steward
A. NOTICE, FIRST OF ALL, THE CHARACTERS.
1. The Steward – slave or hired servant who oversaw finances.
2. The debtors – The owed the Master money.
3. The Master – Not Jesus or representative of him. It is the Lord of the parable
who commends the unjust steward, but he does not restore him. Jesus
commends, but doesn’t restore him either.
B. STEWARD WAS UNRIGHTEOUS, YET JESUS UPHOLDS HIM AS OUR
EXAMPLE( vs. 9 ).
C. HOW ARE WE EXPECTED TO BE LIKE HIM?
A. HE DIDN’T MAKE EXCUSES OR JUSTIFY, HE KNEW THE JIG WAS UP( vs 3 ).
B. WE MUST FACE THE FACTS, TOO.
1. Of our own sinfulness( Rom. 3:23 ).
2. Of judgment( Acts 17:30-31 ).
3. Of Jesus as our only hope( Acts 4:12; John 14:6 ).
A. WHAT DID HE DO? HE LET SOME DEBTORS OFF EASY.
B. WE HAVE SOME DECISIONS TO MAKE, TOO.
1. “Who will follow Jesus?”
2. Joshua’s decision( Josh. 24:15 ).
3. “Here am I, send me” ( Isa. 6:8 ).
C. TOUGH DECISION( Matt. 10:34-39; Mark 8:34 ).
A. CONSIDER THE IMPORTANCE OF DOING WHAT YOU HAVE DECIDED.
1. James 1:22-25.
2. Matt. 21:28-31.
3. Can we afford to put Jesus off?
4. What about the Lord’s work(John 9:4; Matt. 9:37-38 ).
B. OUR ACTION WILL BE REWARDED( Gal. 6:9-10 ).
A. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY STAND IN OUR WAY?
B. WE DO WHAT WE DETERMINE TO BE IMPORTANT( Matt. 16:26 ).
A. SINNERS ARE SOMETIMES MORE COMMITTED TO THEIR SIN
THAN CHRISTIANS ARE TO GOING TO HEAVEN.
1. Those who claim earthly goals are much more energetic in obtaining
those goals than we who are spiritual in obtaining ours.
2. The steward’s prudence is commended. He knew what to do and did it …
Right then! ( 2 Cor. 6:1-2 ).
B. vs. 9. HE IS TELLING US TO USE WHAT GOD HAS PLACE IN OUR HANDS IN
SUCH A WAY THAT WHEN IT IS TAKEN FROM US, FRIENDS IN HEAVEN
WILL TAKE US IN.
1. Not everyone we do good to will go to heaven.
2. Jesus is the one to whom all good is ultimately done( Matt. 25:34-40 ).
A. HE IS NOT TELLING US TO BE UNJUST (vs. 11-12 ).
B. THE STEWARD WAS NOT SERVING THE MASTER, BUT HIS GOODS.
1. A conflict of interests( Matt. 6:22-24 ).
2. You can’t do the job for God if covet the trust of your stewardship
( 1 Cor. 4:1-2 ).
A. HAVE YOU FACED THE FACTS?
B. DO YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO?
C. THEN WHY NOT ACT?