The Woman’s Place
A. THE FIRST VERSE DEALS WITH THE ATTITUDE OF THE MAN.
B. FROM THERE PAUL DISCUSSES THE WOMAN’S PLACE.
A. WOMEN’S APPAREL IS TO BE MODEST.
Kosmios, orderly, well arranged, decent – modest.
1. A result of a modest heart.
2. Accompanies “shamefastness”: aidos, “a sense of shame, modesty, having
regard for others. Worn by those with a knowledge and concern for what is wrong.
3. Accompanies “Sobriety”: denotes soundness of mind, sound judgment.
B. vs. 9b. CONTRASTED WITH GAUDY, PERHAPS SKIMPY GARMENT WORN BY
WOMEN OF THE WORLD TO DRAW ATTENTION THEMSELVES AND THEIR
C. THE CHRISTIAN WOMAN’S GARMENT( vs. 10 ).
1. What we do is a product of what we are( Luke 6:43-45 ).
2. Peter’s comments( 1 Pet. 3:3-4 ). What pleases God pleases your husband.
3. Women who hoped in god adorned themselves thus( 1 Pet. 3:5 ).
A. IN SUBJECTION
1. Compared to Christ and the church( Eph. 5:22-24 ).
2. Sarah obeyed Abraham( 1 Pet. 3:5-6 ).
3. Man’s “help-meet.”( Gen. 2:18 ).
a. Adam was formed first( 1 Tim. 2:13 ).
b. Woman was created for the man( 1 Cor. 11:8-9 ).
c. The woman’s role is important( Titus 2:4-5 ).
d. The hand that rocks the cradle( 2 Tim. 1:5 ).
4. When men or women forget their place tragedy is the result.
B. SUBJECTION TO HUSBAND TO BE REFLECTED IN HER PUBLIC BEHAVIOR.
1. Women do play an important role( Acts 9:36; Acts 18 ).
2. Women can teach( Acts 18:26; Titus 2:3-4 ).
3. In the public assembly( 1 Tim. 2:12; 1 Cor. 14:34-35. Context vs. 26 ).
a. Not to speak in the public assembly.
b. In Bible class not to take over. Would be wrong for anyone.
A. MAN CAME FIRST – DIFFERENCES IN THE WOMAN COMPLIMENT HIS WEAKNESSES( vs. 13; Gen. 2:18 ).
B. vs. 14. WOMAN SINNED FIRST( Gen 3:16; Gal. 4:4 ).
C. THE WOMAN IS SAVED THRU CHILDBEARING. 2 THEORIES.
1. Reference to her duties at home, rearing of children, etc.
2. Reference to the curse on the serpent( Gen. 3:15; Gal. 4:4 ).
3. Salvation for the woman is on the same terms as for the man( Gal. 3:28-29 ).
4. Depends on the woman’s continuing goodness( vs. 15 ).
-- faith, love, sanctification, sobriety.