A. WHY DID JOHN WRITE HIS GOSPEL?( John 20:30-31 ).
B. IN ORDER TO ACCOMPLISH HIS PURPOSE, JOHN SETS FORTH THIS
THEME( John 1:14 ).
C. IN OUR TEXT, JOHN PREPARES US FOR THE EVIDENCE TO PROVE THE JESUS
WAS THE CHRIST BY INTRODUCING HIM AS THE WORD. HE SAYS SIX
THINGS ABOUT THE WORD IN THE PASSAGE THAT ARE DIRECTLY RELATED
TO HIS PURPOSE. IT IS THESE SIX THINGS WE WANT TO DISCUSS IN THIS
A. COINCIDES WITH Genesis 1:1-2.
B. REFERS TO ETERNITY( Col. 1:17; John 5:58 ).AN IMMEASURABLE PAST.
A. IN HIS COMPANY( John 10:30; 17:5 ).
B. INDICATES A RELATIONSHIP( John 17:20-21 ).
A. THE SCRIPTURES TEACH THE DEITY, OR GODHOOD OF JESUS
( Isa. 9:6; John 5:17-18; 20:28; Phil. 2:5-8 ).
B. IN SPITE OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS CLAIM THAT HE WAS "A GOD."
1. Based on the lack of the definite article in verse 1.
2. See also verses 2, 6, 12, 13, 18.
A. THIS DESCRIBES HIS PART IN CREATION.
B. ALL THINGS WERE MADE THROUGH HIM( Gen. 1:26; Heb. 1:2 ).
C. JESUS HAD THE PREEMINENCE IN ALL OF GOD'S CREATION.
1. The Firstborn of all creation( Col. 1:15 ). Not necessarily first created.
a. Ephraim, firstborn of Israel( Jer. 31:9; see Gen. 48 ).
b. Psa. 89:27 "make him (my) first-born, The highest of the kings..."
2. Is Paul talking about first created or preeminent?( Col. 1:15-18 ).
A. HE IS THE SOURCE OF LIFE( 5:21-29 )
B. THIS IS A PERVADING THEME IN JOHN( ch 4, water, ch 6, bread of life ).
C. THIS LIFE IS MADE KNOWN THROUGH LIGHT, RIGHTEOUSNESS( vs. 4 ).
1. vs. 5. The light invaded the darkness of the world, leading us to God( 8:12 ).
2. The darkness could not defeat Jesus
a. by causing him to sin( Heb. 4:15 ).
b. by destroying him( Acts 2:22-24 ).
3. vs.9-11. Jesus is the true light ( source ) coming into the world.
a. Through him the whole world can be enlightened( 8:12 ).
b. It was this light that created the world
Yet the World Knew Him not.
c. He manifested himself unto the children of God, his own nation
And His Own Received Him Not.
1. The place of Israel( Rom. 3:1-2 ).
3. Why did they reject?( John 6:15; 18:36 ).
4. vs. 12-13. But as many as accepted the light, even they that believed on him.
Those who were born, not of flesh and blood, nor of the will of man, but of
God( John 3:3-5 )
gave he the right to become children of God( Gal. 3:26-27 ).
A. WE BEHELD HIS GLORY
BEHELD, theaomai, "a careful and deliberate vision which interprets... its object."
B. GLORY AS OF THE ONLY BEGOTTEN( John 14:6-10 ).
C. FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH.
1. Grace - Goodwill and love. A plan for an undeserving race.
2. Truth - Truth in his person( John 17:17; 14:10; 8:31-32 ).
3. vs. 17. Contrasted with Moses' Law.
A. NO MAN HAS SEEN GOD, WE CAN'T KNOW WHAT HE IS LIKE WITHOUT
B. THAT HELP IS IN JESUS( John 14:6-10; Heb. 1:1-2 ).
1. God's only begotten Son( theos, in the best old manuscripts, ATRobertson ).
2. He is now in the bosom of the Father.
A. THOSE WHO BELIEVE HAVE THE POWER TO BECOME SONS OF GOD.
B. NOT SONS YET.
C. MUST BE BORN AGAIN( John 3:3-5; Gal. 3:26-27 ).