The World or the Soul?
A. 2 THINGS IMPLIED BY JESUS IN OUR TEXT:
1. Those who put the world first will lose their souls.
2. If the soul is lost, nothing can replace it.
B. WE OFTEN TAKE MATERIAL THINGS TOO SERIOUSLY.
SPIRITUAL THINGS ARE UNIMPORTANT.
1. Material possessions are insured and guarded.
2. We would risk our lives to save others from fire or drowning.
3. But what about the souls of others?
A. WHAT DO WE MEAN BY "THE SOUL?"
1. God is spirit( John 4:24 ) Man is made in his image( Gen. 1:26 ).
2. "Lose his soul" or "life"( Matt. 16:26 ). "Himself"( Luke 9:25 ).
3. The soul is the personal self - Your soul is you.
B. WHAT IS THE VALUE OF YOUR SOUL?
1. Obviously more than the world( Matt. 16:26 ).
2. More valuable than the body( 2 Cor. 4:16 - 5:1 ).
a. Than any member of the body( Matt. 5:29-30 ).
b. Man can't destroy it( Matt. 10:28 ).
c. Ecc. 12:7. What happens to the body? The soul?
3. It'll spend eternity in either of two places( Matt. 7:13-14; 25:46 ).
4. What value does its Creator place on it?( 1 Pet. 1:18-20 ).
C. WHAT VALUE DO YOU PLACE ON YOUR SOUL?
1. Actions speak louder than words!
2. What about your children's souls, your neighbor's, etc.
A. WHAT DOES THIS WORL APPEAL TO IN MAN?( vs. 16 ).
B. WHAT IS YOUR GAIN IF YOU GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD? ( vs.17 ).
1. Something that cannot satisfy( Matt. 4:4; Ecc. 5:10-12; 1:2-8 ).
2. A dangerous master( 1 Tim. 6:9-10 ).
3. That which perishes( Matt. 6:19-21 ).
4. Something you will leave behind( Ecc. 5:15-17; 1 Tim. 6:7-8 ).
A. WHAT YOU HAVE SACRIFICED ALL TO GAIN( Luke 12:19-20 ).
B. ANY USEFULNESS TO THE LORD( Matt. 12:25, 30 ).
C. ANY CHANCE TO DO THINGS RIGHT( Luke 16:26 ).
D. Rev. 20:15.
A. WHICH IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU, THE WORLD
OR YOUR SOUL?
B. WHAT PREPARATION HAVE YOU MADE?