"This One Thing"
A. THE EXPRESSION "THIS ONE THING" OFTEN USED FOR EMPHASIS.
1. "Remember this one thing!"
2. "I'll tell you just this one thing."
B. FOUND IN THE SCRIPTURES WITH DIFFERENT MEANINGS.
A. DAVID'S GREATEST DESIRE INVOLVED HIS RELATION TO GOD
1. Worship and devotion( Psa. 122:1 ).
2. A relationship in his house, his family( vs. 4 ).
B. WORSHIP IS A PRIVILEGE FOR US( Jas. 5:13; Ps 65:4 ).
1. It is here we gain from associating together( Heb. 10:24; Col. 3:16 ).
2. And we see something of the beauty of the Lord( Psa. 27:4 ).
C. THE GREATER PRIVILEGE IS OUR RELATIONSHIP( Heb 3:6 ).
1. The house of Jehovah is his family. God is the father( Matt. 6:9; 7:7-11 ).
2. In the church we may approach God for encouragement( Heb. 4:15-16 ).
3. In this fellowship we may inquire of Jehovah( Psa. 27:4 ).
a. Too many rely on human wisdom( 1 Cor. 3:18-20; 1:18-20 ).
b. Human wisdom is no good( Jer. 10:23; Prov. 16:25 ).
c. Great blessing is found in God's word( Psa. 1:1-3 ).
4. As his children, we stand to inherit( Rom. 8:16-17 ).
A. CONSIDER WHO THIS YOUNG MAN WAS! A RICH YOUNG RULER.
1. He had kept the commandments from his youth.
2. He was strongly interested in gaining eternal life. He asked Jesus.
3. Jesus' remark was provoked by his question( Matt. 19:20 ).
B. JESUS KNEW HIS HEART AND HE LACKED ONE THING( vs. 21-22 ).
C. WHAT ABOUT US???
1. Is there one thing that we also lack?
2. One thing can keep us out of heaven. What is your price?( Matt. 16:26 ).
3. There are no little sins( James 2:10 ).
4. There is no kidding ourselves( 1 John 1:6-7 ).
5. Careful there( Eph. 5:15-16 ); and determined( Rom. 6:12-13 ).
6. Don't leave anything out( Luke 6:46; James 4:17 ).
A. THE HEALING WAS THE BACKGROUND - RELATE.
B. THE REACTION OF THE JEWS.
1. Typical rejection( John 12:42-43; Acts 4:13-16; ).
2. Prejudice was the cause( Matt. 13:13-15 ).
C. OURS IS A FAITH OF REASON.
1. The appeals of Paul and Peter( 1 Pet. 3:15; Acts 17:2-4; 2 Tim. 1:12 ).
2. The evidence is abundant( John 20:30-31; Acts 2:22 ).
miracles, fulfilled prophecy, wonderful teachings, God's endorsement
D. THE ONE THING THIS MAN KNEW WAS A GOOD START( vs. 24-38 ).
A. WHAT DID HE DO. HE FORGOT THE PAST AND PRESSED FORWARD.
B. DANGER IN CONTENTMENT, CAN ALWAYS GROW( 2 Pet. 3:18 ).
C. EYE ON THE GOAL( Phil. 3:9-12; Col. 3:1-2 ).
D. SOME THINGS WE NEED TO FORGET AND LEAVE BEHIND.
1. Forget one's former religion.....forget it and follow after truth( Phil. 3:4-8 ).
2. Forget pasts hurts and reach forward to love( Eph 4:31 ).
3. Forget past mistakes( 1 Tim. 1:12-13 ).
4. And past accomplishments, reach forward to the new standard of perfection
( Phil. 3:12-14 ).
5. Imitate Paul in these things( Phil. 3:15-17 ).
A. A SMALL PHRASE, WITH GREAT SIGNIFICANCE IN DIFFERENT
B. IS THERE SOMETHING MISSING FROM YOUR LIFE? YOU COULD BE
LOST FOR THE LACK OF ONE THING.