A. MY FAVORITE SONG WHEN I WAS REAL LITTLE.
1. Words: John Henry Sammis. July 6, 1846 - June 12, 1919.
2. Music: Daniel Brink Towner. April 5, 1850 - October 3, 1919.
C. A SONG THAT TELLS HOW TO BE HAPPY IN JESUS.
When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word, What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still, And with all who will trust and obey.
A. “WALK” HAS REFERENCE TO THE WAY WE LIVE – OUR DEEDS (Eph. 4:1).
B. WALK IN THE LIGHT OF HIS WORD (John 8:12, 31). FOLLOW HIS TEACHINGS.
C. Deut. 5:33. AS IN THE OT OBEDIENCE IS IMPLIED (Luke 1:6).
D. IF WE TRUST HIM, WE WILL OBEY HIM (James 2:22)
F. FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD IS DEPENDENT UPON THIS (1 John 1:6-7).
G. THE BLESSINGS OF THAT FELLOWSHIP ARE GLORIOUS (1 John 3:1).
Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share, But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross, But is blessed if we trust and obey.
A. BECAUSE WE ARE HERE, THERE ARE BURDENS, SORROWS GRIEFS, LOSSES.
1. Job 14:1-2. Not promised bliss here.
2. A part of the consequence of sin being in the world (Gen. 3:17-19).
B. THERE IS ALSO A CROSS TO BEAR (Matt. 10:38).
1. We will be persecuted (2 Tim. 3:12; John 15:20).
2. We will be called to sacrifice (Matt. 10:34-38).
C. JESUS HAS PROMISED ABUNDANT COMPENSATION (Luke 18:28-30).
1. In this time (Eph. 2:4-6; Rom. 8:16).
2. In the world to come – Eternal Life (1 Thess. 4:16-18).
But we never can prove the delights of His love Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows, Are for them who will trust and obey.
A. ENJOYING THE BLESSINGS DEPENDS ON COMMITMENT (Luke 9:23).
1. Living sacrifices (Rom. 12:1).
2. A crucifixion of self (Gal. 2:20; 1 Pet. 4:1).
3. With uncommon results (1 Pet. 4:2; Gal. 2:20).
4. It is fair and reasonable (2 Cor. 5:14-15).
B. SUCH COMMITMENT RESULTS FROM CONVICTION (2 Tim. 1:12; 2 Cor. 4:13-14).
1. Such obedience results from trust (James 2:22).
2. How much trust (Heb. 11:17-19).
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet. Or we’ll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go; Never fear, only trust and obey.
A. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT IS NOT ENOUGH (Matt. 7:21).
B. MERE FAITH WILL NOT SAVE (James 1:22).
C. BECOMING A CHRISTIAN INVOLVES ENTERING A COVENANT WITH GOD.
1. We are raised to walk in newness of life (Rom. 6:3-4; 2 Cor. 5:17).
2. It is NOT an event, it is a walk (Eph. 4:1).
D. LET US THEN KEEP THE COVENANT (Psa. 56:12; 1 Pet. 4:19).
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
A. DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT HE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT JESUS AND HIS WILL?
B. DO YOU TRUST JESUS TO KEEP HIS PROMISES TO YOU IN SPITE OF ALL?
C. WHY DO YOU WAIT? TRUST AND OBEY.