Two Men of Philippians Two
A. PAUL WAS IN PRISON BEING TRIED FOR HIS FAITH.
B. WHILE HE WAS THERE, HE WAS SERVED BY TWO MEN.
1. Timothy was his own charge ( Acts 16:1-3 ). Very close, even at Paul’s death.
2. Epaphroditus mentioned only here and in ch. 4. From the Philippian church.
A. HE WILL CARE FOR YOUR STATE ( vs. 20 ).
1. In Timothy was a true concern for others.
2. We ought to have the same attitude ( Rom. 12:9-13; 1 Pet. 1:22 ).
3. Timothy’s attitude would be seen in action ( 1 John 3:18 ).
B. NO MAN IS LIKEMINDED – TIMOTHY STOOD ALONE WITH PAUL ( vs. 20 ).
1. During Paul’s last days, Timothy was one of the few.
2. Paul served as his pattern ( Acts 20:24 ).
3. He knew he would be rewarded with Paul ( 2 Tim. 4:6-8 ).
4. It is implied that he sought the things of Christ ( Matt. 6:33; Col. 3:1-4 ).
5. Others were not so, they sought physical welfare ( Mark 8:34-38 ).
6. How had Paul instructed them earlier in the chapter? ( 2:1-4 ).
C. TIMOTHY WAS COMPLETELY TRUE IN HIS SERVICE TO CHRIST ( vs. 21 ).
AND TO PAUL ( vs. 22 ).
1. “How beautiful are the feet …” ( Rom. 10:15 ).
2. Paul’s fatherly affection toward his students ( 1 Cor. 4:14-16; 11:1 ).
D. TIMOTHY WAS PAUL’S PERSONAL MESSENGER – HE HOPED TO COME
SHORTLY, HIMSELF ( vs. 23-24; 1:21-26 ).
A. PAUL COMPLIMENTS THIS MAN ( vs. 25 ).
1. My brother – all brethren ( Matt. 23:8; Rom. 8:16-17 ).
a. Affection ( Rom. 12:9-10 ).
b. A special brother.
2. My fellow-worker – shared in the teaching and preaching.
a. Great Commission shared with hearers ( Matt. 28:19-20 ).
b. We all share the debt of salvation ( Rom. 1:14-15 ).
c. Consider the great need ( Matt. 9:37-38 ).
3. My fellow-soldier – hardship, discipline, sacrifice, danger, warfare.
-- These things Epaphroditus had done( 2 Tim. 2:3-4; 4:6-8 ).
B. HE LONGS FOR YOU ALL ( vs. 26 ).
1. He was troubled because of their concern for him and his illness.
2. They should have been concerned ( Rom. 12:15; 1 Pet. 3:8 ).
3. His illness brought him to death’s door ( vs. 27 ).
a. His healing was from God ( James 1:17 ).
b. God doesn’t always let us have our way ( 2 Cor. 12:7-9 ).
c. But his will is always for our benefit ( Rom. 8:28 ).
-- Work for Epaphroditus.
-- Comfort for Paul and the Philippian brethren.
4. Illness contracted while doing the Lord’s work ( vs. 30 ).
a. Same attitude as Paul and Timothy ( 2 Cor. 12:15 ).
b. He then ought to be held in honor ( vs. 29 ).