Two Mothers on Mother's Day
A. MOTHER'S DAY BECAME A HOLIDAY IN 1914.
1. 20.8 million Americans will call their Mother today.
2. 125 million Mother's Day cards will be given (only 75 million to Father's ).
B. NOT A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY OR OBSERVANCE, BUT( Ex. 20:12 ).
C. THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF MOTHERHOOD. 2 EXTREME EXAMPLES.
A. BACKGROUND( Matt. 14:1-12 ).
1. She was the wife of Herod's brother and was an adulterer.
2. She induced her daughter Salome to have Herod kill John the Baptist.
1. Set a poor moral example( Matt. 14:3-4; 19:9; Heb. 13:4 ).
2. Taught her a perverted picture of what it is to be "female."
a. Taught her to use her God-given blessings as a curse.
b. Ignored Titus 2:4.
3. Did not teach her daughter to have proper regard for morality( Prov. 11:22 ).
a. Lesson on lust( Matt. 5:28; 18:6-7; Rom. 14:21 ).
b. Mothers must teach modesty and be modest( 1 Tim.9-10; 1 Pet.3:3-4 ).
4. Teach spiritual goals, not fleshly abandonment( Gal. 5:16-21 ).
a. Real love causes concern for the soul( Matt. 16:25-26; Prov. 22:6 ).
b. But some forget the important things( Isa. 49:15 ).
5. Selfish, manipulated her daughter to achieve her evil purposes.
C. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE EXAMPLE OF A MOTHER.
A. BACKGROUND( Acts 16:1 2; Tim. 1:5; 2 Tim. 3:15 ).
1. Power of a mother's influence. 3 generations of godly people.
a. A power position( Titus 2:4-5 ).
i. "The hand that rocks the cradle ...."
ii. "Behind every successful man ...."
b. Recognized the power of positive training( Prov. 22:6 ).
c. Wisdom in hearing( Prov. 6:20-23 ).
d. The greatest gift( 2 Tim. 3:14-15 ).
i. Abraham was chosen( Gen. 18:19 ).
ii. The Israelites were instructed( Deut. 6:6-7 ).
iii. We have commandment from God( Eph. 6:4; 1 Tim. 5:8 ).
2. Recognized the privilege of motherhood.
a. Eve rejoiced( Gen. 4:1 ).
b. These verses reflect the mother's joy( John 16:21; Psa. 127:3 ).
3. Such mothers are easy to honor
a. Eph. 6:1-3.
b. What do we owe?
i. Care( Matt. 15:4-6 ).
ii. Loyalty and love( Ruth 1:16-17 ).
C. HANNAH'S ATTITUDE( 1 Sam. 1:27-28 ).
A. A GOOD MOTHER SHOULD BE HONORED( Prov. 31:28-30 ).
B. THE MEMORY VERSE:
A little boy forgot his memory verse in Bible class. His mother was in the front row
to prompt him. She gestured and formed the words silently with her lips, but it did
not help. Her son's memory was blank. Finally, she leaned forward and whispered
the cue, "I am the light of the world." The child beamed and with great feeling and a
loud clear voice said, "My mother is the light of the world." While Jesus is the true
light of the world, you can be the light which will lead your children to Christ.
C. TO BE A GREAT MOTHER ...
M - Marry the right man
O - Obey the gospel
T - Train your children to love God
H - Honor your parents
E - Enjoy Christianity
R - Request Wisdom from God.