A. THE EUNUCH: HONORABLE, DEVOTED, INQUISITIVE, LOST.
B. ACCESS TO SCRIPTURES A WONDERFUL PRIVILEGE ( Rev. 1:3 ).
C. READING IMPORTANT, VAIN WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING ( 1 Tim. 4:13 ).
A. BLESSING IN UNDERSTANDING.
1. Happiness ( Psa. 1:1-2 ).
2. Strength ( Prov. 24:5 - 1 Cor.10:13; Eph.6:16; Rom.10:17 ).
3. God's approval ( 2 Tim. 2:15 ).
B. DANGER IN MISUNDERSTANDING.
1. What if a pharmacist misunderstands a prescription?
2. More important to understand that which pertains to the soul
( 2 Pet. 3:15-17 ).
3. In view of the danger, the Bible demands close scrutiny.
A. GOD IN HIS MERCY MADE IT UNDERSTANDABLE.
1. God expects us to understand ( Mat. 15:10; Eph. 5:17 ).
2. Understood in the past. How? ( Eph. 3:3-4 ).
3. A reflection on God if not possible ( 1 Cor. 14:33 ).
B. THE BIBLE IS A UNIQUE BOOK WITH REGARD TO OUR UNDERSTANDING.
1. God has come down to our level in communicating with us.
2. God hasn't revealed all ( Deut.29:29; 1 Cor.15:51-52 ).
3. Some things are hard to understand ( 2 Pet.3:16; Heb.5:11 ).
4. Some passages are easy ( Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38 ).
5. All we need is found in understandable truth
( 2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:3; 1 Cor. 2:16 ).
C. IS IT POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND DIFFERENTLY?
III. WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO UNDERSTAND THE BIBLE?
. TRUST IN IT AS GOD'S WORD.
1. Curiosity will not take one far.
2. Understanding what it is will aid in understanding what it says ( 1 Thess. 2:13 ).
3. Inspired, God's word, Truth ( 2 Pet.1:20-21; 1 Cor.2:12-13 ).
B. WE MUST HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE - OBJECTIVE.
1. Desire to know its teaching, not prove our point.
2. Must see the thought intended( 2 Thes. 2:10-12 ).
C. MUST MAKE AN EFFORT TO UNDERSTAND.
1. Desire for truth will result in a search( John 5:39 ).
2. An investigative spirit, an inquisitive mind
( Luke 10:38; Acts 17:11; The eunuch ).
3. The answer to "What must I do to be saved?" can be found in a search of the
Scriptures. They must be read, meditated on, and rightly applied.
A. THE GOSPEL IS GOD'S POWER TO SAVE ( Rom. 1:16 ).
B. WHERE IS ITS POWER? ( vs. 17 ).
C. UNDERSTANDING ALONE WILL NOT SAVE ( James 2:24 ).
D. "WHAT MUST I DO?" ( Acts 2:38; 8:35-36 )