A. FOUND IN THE NT. 3 TIMES( Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Pet. 4:16 ).
B. IT IS WORN BY MANY WHO ARE NOT( Acts 11:26; John 8:31 ).
A. THE HONOR IN WEARING THE NAME.
1. Honor and dishonor connected with wearing certain names: i. e. Gentile,
Samaritan, Publican, husband, Pharisee, Texan, Yankee.
2. "Christian" is the greatest name of all.
a. God's people promised a new name signifying a new relationship
( Isa. 62:2 ).
b. Early Christians proud to wear it( 1 Pet. 4:16; Acts 5:41 ).
c. We wear not the name of an ordinance, man or angel, but the name of
God's own son( Gal. 6:14 ).
B. THE REWARD OF WEARING THE NAME.
1. The blessing of a benevolent Father belongs to Christians.
a. Approach God as Father( Matt. 7:7-11; James 1:5; 5:16 ).
b. Material blessings( Matt. 6:33; James 1:17; Psa. 37:25).
2. All spiritual blessings( Eph. 1:3 ).
C. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF WEARING THE NAME.
1. Honor and blessing responsibility; i. e. American, Baker, policeman, elder.
2. Wearing the name "Christian" means assuming responsibility( 2 Tim. 2:15;
Titus 2:14; 1 Pet. 2:9; Phil. 1:27; Eph. 4:1-3 ).
A. DIFFERENT KINDS OF CHRISTIANS, DIFFERENT INTENSITIES,
BETWEEN VARIOUS SHADES.
1. Strong and weak( Rom. 15:1 ).
2. Spiritual and carnal( 1 Cor. 3:1 ).
3. Hot and cold( Rev. 3:15f. ).
4. Stable and unstable( Eph. 4:14-16 ).
5. Cornerstones and periphera.
6. Steppingstones and stumbling blocks.
B. THESE DIFFERENCES CAN MEAN THE DIFFERENCE IN
C. HOW CAN I TELL IF I AM JUST WEARING THE NAME?
1. Why did I become a Christian? Family, bandwagon, prestige?
2. Am I truly separated from the world in my activities, recreation, language?
3. What comes first in my life? What means more to me, a baptism or the
Superbowl( Matt. 6:33 ).
a. How much time do I comparatively give to him? Money? Effort?
b. Do I attend when the door is open or when its convenient?
c. Would I miss for some worldly activity?
4. How do I react to strong teaching and preaching( Gal. 4:16; John 6:66 ).
5. Am I growing? Is my life changed? My point of view? My knowledge?
6. What about my concern for others and their salvation?
A. IT IS WORN VOLUNTARILY( Rev. 22:17 ).
B. WE WEAR IT ALL THE TIME( Luke 9:23; Matt. 24:44 ).
C. WE OUGHT TO WEAR IT INTELLIGENTLY:
1. Realizing our effect on others( Matt. 5:13-16 ).
2. Realizing that we will be judged( 2 Cor. 5:10 ).
A. ARE WE CHRISTIANS OR MERELY WEARING THE NAME?
B. IF WE WEAR THE NAME WE MUST STRIVE TO LIVE UP TO IT.
C. WE OUGHT ALWAYS TO STRIVE TO BE BETTER CHRISTIANS!