What is Preaching?
A. IT IS THROUGH PREACHING THE GOSPEL GOD PLANS TO
1. Jews preferred signs - lost.
2. Gentiles sought human wisdom - lost.
B. BECAUSE PREACHING IS SO CENTRAL IN SAVING SOULS,
WE ALL NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
A. WEBSTER: "to expound or proclaim... to advocate... urge strongly or
persistently; to deliver a sermon."
B. SEWELL: "The activity of a redeemed man, standing in Christ's stead,
by his authority and in obedience to his command, proclaiming,
explaining, illustrating, strongly urging the word of God, the Gospel
of Christ, in such a manner as to make it possible for responsible people
to understand it and accept it unto life or reject it unto death."
A. THE PURPOSE IS TO URGE THE SINNER TO BE RECONCILED
( 2 Cor. 5:18-20 ).
B. WE CAN'T COME TO JESUS WITHOUT HEARING
( John 6:44-45 ).
C. ON THE BASIS OF THIS TRUTH CHRIST COMMANDED
( Mark 16:15 ).
D. PREACHING IS NEEDED BY CHRISTIANS, TOO( 2 Tim. 4:1-4 ).
A. THE AUTHORITATIVE PROCLAMATION OF THE GOSPEL,
MOVING MEN TO CHRIST, SALVATION, & ETERNAL LIFE.
1. Life is in the message( John 20:30-31 ).
2. Needs a spokesman( Rom. 10:13-15 ).
B. THE POWER RESTS NOT IN THE MAN BUT IN GOD & HIS
WORD( 1 Cor. 2:1-5 ).
1. Preaching, a divine function accomplished thru men as his earthen
agents( 2 Cor. 4:5-7; Phil. 2:12-13 ).
2. A speech may exhibit every rule of composition and delivery and
yet be of the world entirely. It may violate every standard of
literary purity and yet be a voice vibrant with the love and power of
C. GOSPEL PREACHING, IF IT IS INDEED FROM GOD, MUST BE
AUTHORITATIVE( Titus 2:15 ).
1. It must strongly urge serious consideration & obedience to the gospel.
2. Observe the authority of these speaker( Acts 2:36-38; 17:30-31 ).
D. IF IT IS NOT THE DECLARATION OF THE AUTHORITATIVE
WORD OF GOD, IT IS NO GOOD!( Gal. 1:6-10 ).
1. The preacher does not create the message.
a. The apostles didn't( 1 Cor. 2:13-13 ).
b. We must not( 2 Tim. 2:2; 1 Pet. 4:11 ).
2. A curse on those who would alter it( 2 John 9-11 ).
3. The responsibility is grave( James 3:1 ).
A. THERE IS ONLY ONE HOPE FOR MAN( Rom. 1:16 ).
B. HAVE YOU OBEYED THE GOSPEL?