What Must I Do?
A. GREAT CONTROVERSY, LITTLE UNDERSTANDING.
B. THE LAW IS PLAIN - 1 CAUSE FOR DIVORCE & REMARRIAGE.
C. WHAT IF A DIVORCE OCCURS FOR SOME OTHER REASON?
WHAT MUST I DO?
A. SOME OBSERVATIONS:
1. "except for fornication" - "of that on which a state of being, an action, or a
result is based"( A&G p. 287 ).
2. "committeth adultery" - moicaotai...mai, 3rd person, sing., present indicative
( grammar, par. 18, 110, 112 ). This is the tense of continuous action,
indicating that as long as one is joined in an adulterous marriage, adultery is a
continuing thing, not an initial act!
New International: I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital
unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."
Simple English: I am telling you, unless sexual sin is the reason, if a man divorces his
wife and marries another woman, he is committing adultery.''
B. WHAT DOES THIS PASSAGE SAY?
1. In a divorce where fornication was not the motive, if one divorces and marries
another they commit adultery.
2. As long as one is joined in an adulterous marriage, adultery is a continuing
thing, not an initial act!.
3. When one divorces because his mate committed fornication, he may remarry
without committing adultery.
4. Whoever marries the put away one commits adultery with her.
C. vs. 12. SOME MUST REMAIN CELIBATE IN ORDER TO GO TO HEAVEN.
1. The context: Divorce and remarriage.
2. What about "He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."? see vs. 11.
3. Who can receive it?( Matt. 13:9-17; John 6:60 ).
D. SOME CRITICAL INFERENCES:
1. One who divorces for other than fornication, or one who was divorced by
their mate does not have the right to remarry.
2. If he does, the remarriage constitutes an adulterous relationship
( Mark 6:17-18 ).
3. Those who are committing adultery are adulterers and ( 1 Cor 6:9-10 ).
E. WHAT MUST SUCH A ONE DO?
1. Forgiveness predicated on Repentance( Acts 8:22; 1 John 1:6-7 ).
2. Repentance means restitution where possible( Luke 19:8 ).
3. Mark 6:18. End the relationship! Stop having her!
F. DIVORCE ALLOWED IN ONE CASE, DEMANDED IN ANOTHER.
A. GOD'S LAW FROM THE BEGINNING( Matt. 19:8 ).
1. Jesus contrasted with Moses.
2. "For your hardness of heart."
B. WHAT ABOUT THE ALIEN SINNER?
1. Jesus has all authority( Matt. 28:18; Eph. 1:20-23 ).
2. He is exalted( Phil. 2:9-11 ).
3. Whose word is the standard for all?( John 12:48 ).
4. Acts 17:30-31. WHO IS SPOKEN TOO? JUDGED BY WHAT?
C. WHAT MUST THE ALIEN SINNER DO?
1. Acts 2:38. Repent and be baptized( 1 John 1:6-7 )..
2. What does that involve?( Mark 6:18 ).
3. What sins are washed? Those no longer continued in. Is the adulterous
relationship forgiven? Only if it ceases.
4. What did the Corinthians do?( 1 Cor. 6:9-11 ).
5. If the Baptist is condemned because he will not teach the necessity of
Baptism, will we not be condemned for not teaching the necessity of
A. THE JEW WAS SUBJECT TO ROMAN LAW, BUT RECEIVED ONLY THE
OBLIGATIONS AND NONE OF THE BLESSINGS.
B. THE ALIEN IS SUBJECT TO THE LAW. THERE IS NOTHING THAT IS NOT
UNDER HIS FEET( 1 Cor. 15:27-28 ). BUT HE RECEIVES NONE OF THE
BENEFITS UNTIL HE BECOMES A CITIZEN.
C. Hebrews 13:4.
Who would have ever thought that the church would be divided over a moral issue? But
it has been. Are we to be ruled by human reasoning or the Bible? Have come to the point
where every man does what is right in his own eyes?( Judges 17:6; Deut. 12:8; Mal.
It may be that we can avoid much of the trouble on the subject of divorce and remarriage
by teaching our young people about marriage. But it is certainly no time to be quiet. We
must be urgent, in season and out. And today the subject is definitely "in season."