Why We Sing
A. OUR WORSHIP IS NOT TO BE POLLUTED BY MAN'S INNOVATIONS.
C. WITH 3 THINGS US ABOUT WITH THE MUSIC OF GOD'S PEOPLE
1. The purpose of singing.
2. The manner in which our music is rendered.
3. The kind of music that is pleasing to God.
A. IT IS AN EXPRESSION OF THE HEART( James 5:13 ).
B. A MEANS OF PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING( Heb. 13:15; Rom 15:9 ).
C. A MEANS OF TEACHING AND ADMONISHING( Col. 3:16 ).
A. "UNTO GOD" - NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT( Acts 16:25 ).
B. "IN SPIRIT" - SINCERELY( John 4:24; 1 Cor. 14:15 ).
C. "WITH THE UNDERSTANDING" ( 1 Cor. 14:15 ).
1. Study the
sentiment of a song( #IT IS WELL,
WHO WILL FOLLOW JESUS?,
HE LEADETH ME,
WHEN I SURVEY THE WONDROUS CROSS .
2. Some songs we cannot sing.
D. THEY ARE TO BE UNDERSTOOD BY OTHERS( Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16 ).
E. KIND OF SINGING: "PSALMS, HYMNS, SPIRITUAL SONGS."
A. IT HELPS TO KNOW ABOUT "GENERIC" AND "SPECIFIC" AUTHORITY.
1. generic, "Includes any thing, method, or means of execution that comes within the class or order of the precept, example or inference."
2. specific, "Excludes every thing, method or means of execution in the same order or class which is not particularly specified in the precept, example or inference."
B. APPLIED TO NOAH'S ARK( Gen. 6:14 ). "Tools, gopher wood."
C. EMBLEMS USED IN THE LORD'S SUPPER( Mat. 26:26-29 ).
D. DID GOD SPECIFY A CERTAIN KIND OF MUSIC? YES HE DID! WE ARE
COMMANDED TO SING.
1. Acts 15:25; Eph. 519; Col. 3:16; James 5:13.
2. It would be no more right to add instruments because they sound better than it would be to add apple pie & ice cream because they taste better. Is our obedience to be reduced to a mere matter of taste?
E. THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS( 2 John 9; Mat. 15:8-9 ).
A. 1 Thes. 5:21. "PROVE ALL THINGS, HOLD FAST TO THAT WHICH IS GOOD."
B. HOW CAN WE KNOW WHAT'S GOOD( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
C. John 14:15. IF WE LOVE THE LORD, WE WILL OBEY HIM IN THIS.