A. LIMITATIONS PLACED ON WOMEN IN THE ASSEMBLY.
1. Because of what is said in 1 Cor. 14:34-37 and in 1 Tim. 2:11-12.
2. In spite of such limitations, the church benefits greatly by the work of many women
B. Romans 16. IN THE CHURCH AT ROME, FOR EXAMPLE:
1. Phoebe (vs. 1-2). 3. Mary (vs. 6).
2. Priscilla (vs. 3-4).
C. HOW CAN THAT BE IF WOMEN ARE SO LIMITED IN THE ASSEMBLY?
1. There is much work outside the assembly that must be done, if a church is to grow.
2. Women are often in a position to provide much of this needed work!
D. WHAT CAN WOMEN DO?
1. How can they contribute to the success of the local church?
2. Let's answer such questions in the light of the work of a local church.
A. BENEVOLENCE IS AN IMPORTANT WORK...
1. It is a mark of pure and undefiled religion (Jas. 1:27).
2. Serving our brother is a service rendered to the Lord Himself (Matt. 25:34-40).
3 All Christians, women & men, are to be involved in this work (1 John 3:17-18).
B. WOMEN ARE WELL-SUITED FOR BENEVOLENCE...
1. They bring a grace of which men are normally not capable.
a. The unique attributes of femininity lend themselves well to this work.
b. E.g., mercy and compassion are almost second-nature to women (Isa. 49:15).
c. Rom. 12:6-8. And mercy is one of the gifts the Lord has given to His church.
2. They often possess skills through which benevolence can be rendered
a. E.g., making clothes, as Dorcas did for needy widows (Acts 9:36-39).
b. E.g., cooking, baby-sitting, ministering to the sick, extending hospitality, etc.
3. Any work that a woman does in the area of benevolence is a powerful contribution to the work and reputation of a local church!
A. EDIFICATION IS AN ESSENTIAL WORK...
1. It involves building up the body through the work of every member (Eph. 4:15-16).
2. "Comfort each other and edify one another" – (1 Thess. 5:11).
B. WOMEN CAN DO MUCH TO EDIFY THE CHURCH...
1. Through formal teaching of others:
a. Grandmothers and mothers, Lois and Eunice (2 Tim. 1:5; 3:14-15).
c. Especially where people don’t have the benefit of godly mothers and grandmothers, in which Christian women can be helpful and adopting.
2. Through informal words of encouragement (Heb. 10:24).
3. Where women are involved in the work of edification, their contribution to the work of the local church does not go unnoticed (Matt. 10:42).
A. EVANGELISM IS AN IMPERATIVE WORK...
1. The "Great Commission" given to faithful (Matt. 28:19-20; 2 Tim. 2:2).
2. The Gospel must be shared with everyone (Rom. 1:16; Mark 16:15-16).
3. This is a work that can be done by everyone (Acts 8:1, 4).
B. WOMEN CAN DO MUCH IN THE AREA OF EVANGELISM.
1. They can help support those who preach the gospel.
a. As did Mary Magdalene, Joanna, and Susanna (Luke 8:1-3).
b. Providing much needed hospitality, as did Lydia (Acts 16:15).
2. They can tell others about Christ
a. The Samaritan woman (John 4:28-31, 39-42).
b. Priscilla, who with her husband...
1) Provided a place for Paul to stay while at Corinth (Acts 18:1-4).
2) Converted Apollos at Ephesus (Acts 18:24-26).
3) Hosted a church in their home (1 Cor. 16:19 Rom. 16:3-5).
c. Even without a word, godly women can lead others to Christ, including unbelieving husbands (1 Pet. 3:1-2).
3. Many souls have been saved, and churches started, through the evangelistic efforts of godly women! – Tina Snyder and Jerry Bickle.
A. THERE IS MUCH THAT GODLY WOMEN CAN DO FOR THE CHURCH.
B. WHAT GOES ON OUTSIDE THE ASSEMBLY IS AS IMPORTANT AS WHAT GOES ON IN THE ASSEMBLY.
C. WHEN GODLY WOMEN ARE ACTIVE IN THE CHURCH, SOULS ARE SAVED AND THE CHURCH IS STRONGER.