A. WORSHIP, proskuneo, "to make obeisance, do reverence to( from
pros, towards, & kuneo, to kiss )is the most frequent word
rendered 'to worship.'"
lateuro, "to serve, to render religious service or homage, is
translated to worship in Phil. 3:3, Acts 7:42, 24:14"( Vine ).
B. VINE CONTINUES: "The worship of God is nowhere defined in
Scripture. A consideration of the above verbs shows that it is
not confined to praise; broadly it may be regarded as the
direct acknowledgment to God, of his nature, attributes, ways &
claims, whether by outgoing of the heart in praise & and thanks-
giving or by deed done in such acknowledgment."
C. IN THE LESSON WE WANT TO CONSIDER "FALSE" & "TRUE" WORSHIP.
A. VAIN WORSHIP( Mat. 15:8-9 ).
1. "vain" - empty, to no purpose, void of substance.
2. "Honor me with their lips, but their heart is far from me."
a. Insincere, tradition( Mat. 15:6 )glory( Gal. 1:10 ).
b. note the balance of Mark 16:16.
B. WILL-WORSHIP( Col. 2:20-24 ).
1. Severe restrictions - not God's idea.
2. Made a show of wisdom in 3 areas: will-worship, humility, severity to the
body. valueless in the pursuit of spiritual goals.
3. Will-worship - according to one's own will, after precepts & doctrines of men.
a. Col. 2:8; 2 John 9; Mat. 15:9.
b. Man cannot prescribe for himself acceptable worship,
even if it is severe and causes great sacrifice.
C. WORSHIP OF THE CREATURE.
1. Idolatry( Rom. 1:22-25; Gal. 5:19-21 ).
2. Undue reverence to God's servant( Acts10:25-26; Rev.22:8-9 )
D. IGNORANT WORSHIP( Acts 17:22-23; 17:30 ).
A. "WORSHIP IN SPIRIT?" - Sincerely, with the inner man.
B. "WORSHIP IN TRUTH?" - According to God's prescription.
1. Mat. 15:8-9; 1 Cor. 14:15.
2. Our standard of truth( John 17:17 ).
3. Jesus has all authority( Mat. 28:18; Col. 3:17 ).
C. THE OBJECT OF TRUE WORSHIP IS GOD( Rev. 22:8-9; Mar. 4:10 ).
1. His power & great love seen in creation( Rom. 1:20 ).
2. Failure to acknowledge in thought or worship plunged the
world into immorality and idolatry( Rom. 1:21-25 ).
A. THE SAMARITAN vs. JEW CONTROVERSY - JEWS WERE RIGHT.
B. JESUS REMOVED EMPHASIS FROM PLACE TO HEART( John 4:21,23 ).
A. THEY MUST BE CLEANSED BY THE BLOOD( Heb. 10:19f ).
B. REVERENCE & AWE( 12:28-29 ).
C. THANKSGIVING, GLADNESS & REJOICING( Psa. 122:1 ).