A. TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY – I HAVE TWO.
B. THE SONG REMINDS US OF THE SECOND.
Words: William T. Sleeper, 1877.
Music: George C. Stebbins(1846-1945).
For the background information used in this sermon, ask me.
A. WORDS TRUE AND PLAIN.
A ruler once came to Jesus by night To ask Him the way of salvation and light;
The Master made answer in words true and plain, “Ye must be born again.”
1. Nicodemus is mentioned three time, but only in John.
a. In John 3, he comes to inquire of Jesus (John 3:1-21).
b. Has his word in the Sanhedrin counsel (John 7:45-53).
c. Assisted in the burial of Jesus (John 19:39-42).
2. People criticize his timidity – Trad.: Baptized, cast out, left Jerusalem.
3. His observation concerning Jesus (John 3:1-2).
4. Jesus changed the subject with “words true and plain” –
5. “Ye must be born again.”
B. ATTEND TO THE WORD.
Ye children of men, attend to the Word, So solemnly uttered by Jesus the Lord;
And let not this message to you be in vain, “Ye must be born again.”
1. We have been warned (Rom. 10:16-17).
2. But we also have been invited (Matt. 11:28) – All of us (Titus 2:11-12).
3. And let not this message to you be in vain (2 Cor. 6:1-2).
C. DO YOU WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN?
O ye who would enter that glorious rest, And sing with the ransomed the song of the blest,
The life everlasting if ye would obtain, “Ye must be born again.”
1. It is up to us – an exercise of our will (Rev. 22:17; Josh. 24:15).
2. But we must meet the condition (John 3:1). “Ye must be born again.”
3. The restful joy of life everlasting extolled (Matt. 11:28; Rev. 13:14).
D. THE FOURTH VERSE – NOT IN OUR NEW BOOK.
A dear one in heaven thy heart yearns to see, At the beautiful gate may be watching for thee,
Then list to the note of this solemn refrain, “Ye must be born again.”
1. We will see those who have fallen asleep (1 Thess. 4:13-18).
2. Changed in Sacred Selections - "The dear One in heaven thy heart yearns to see, At
the beautiful gate He is watching for thee." (1 Thess. 4:17).
A. THE RESULT OF BEING BEGOTTEN( 1 Pet. 1:3 ).
B. THE "SEED"( 1 Pet. 1:22-23 ).
C. JESUS & NICODEMUS - "WHAT IS THIS NEW BIRTH?"( John 3:3-5 ).
1. Jesus addresses Nicodemus’ questions
2. Evidence in the context( vs. 6-10 ).
a. vs. 6. fleshly birth – physical body.
spiritual birth – the spirit, the inner man.
b. vs. 7-8. We don’t see the wind, but we see what it does.
We don’t witness a spiritual birth, but we see it’s effect (2 Cor. 5:17).
c. vs. 9-10. An old teaching – Nicodemus should have known about this.
d. Made possible by being set free (Rom. 6:5-6).
e. Set free from sin in dying with Jesus (Rom. 6:7), When? (vs. 3-4).
D. IT IS THE BEGINNING OF A "NEW LIFE"( Rom. 6:3-4, 17-18 ).
E. IT IS THE NEW BIRTH THAT CREATES HOPE( 1 Pet. 1:3-5).
“Ye must be born again, Ye must be born again,
I verily, verily, say unto thee, Ye must be born again.”
A. HAVE YOU BEEN BORN AGAIN?
B. ARE YOU WALKING IN NEWNESS OF LIFE?